Saturday, May 8, 2010

How we told!

I have been meaning to put up how we told our families that we were pregnant and am finally getting around to it. We were getting ready to go see the ballet Don Quixote on Wednesday February the 10th. We had bought a pregnancy test, but I was planning on waiting until the morning to take it. Pete wanted me to take it that night so, I did. When I looked down at the stick I was in pure shock, as I really did not expect it to read positive. I went into the computer room where Pete was, he said, "well?" I said, "I think we are!" He said, "what do you mean I think?" I said, "well the one line is kind of light so I am not sure, but I think if it shows up at all that mean yes." Pete looked at me in shock. He got up and I said, "where are you going?" He said, "I just need to walk around, I can't believe it." Later we looked at the stick and realized, the light line was the control line which shows the test actually took. The dark line was the prego line. That night and the next day we obviously discussed all kinds of different thoughts and emotions. One topic was when and how we were going to tell our families. A lot of people advise waiting until after the first trimester to tell people, but that is not who we are and we could not wait to let everyone enjoy this news with us.
I have always wanted to tell our parents in a fun, creative way, so we discussed many options, without coming up with anything we really liked. On Friday while I was at school Pete sent me an email with a poem he had written to give to our parents. I loved it, and we decided that we would drive home that night and tell them. We got to my parent's house around 9:30 on Friday night and the house was empty. We took showers and sat around a while waiting for them to return. About 10:30 they came in from Capri with two of their friends. Of course this was the night that the friends had no where to go, and so they were very content to hang around and visit. After about a hour the friends went home and the four of us moved into the kitchen. My mom brought in some laundry and she and my dad started folding towels. I said, "oh, I have something I want you to read." I brought out the poem and told my dad that he would have to read it out loud because mom did not have on her glasses. He proceeded to read the poem and at one point my mom looked over at me to see what was going on. When he got to the end, "and watch Grace grow", my mom put her head down into the towel she was folding and started to cry. My dad was speechless, he just kept smiling but didn't really have much to say.
The next morning, we went to the Fox's for a surprise breakfast. When we walked int he door, Delores was on the phone, she looked over at us and then did a double take as her mind registered who we were and that we were not supposed to be there. After we had had breakfast and were sitting around the table, Delores gave us the perfect in when she asked Pete if he had read the poem she had found of Iva's. Pete told her how much he had liked the poem, and then said, "I found another poem I think you would like. Read it out loud so dad can hear it too." Delores read the poem and when she got to the end part she just started crying. She got up and hugged us both and couldn't quit crying and smiling. Pete and I later talked about how bad we felt for Don. He was contently eating his breakfast and listening to the poem, right when Delores got to the punch line part of the poem she started crying and hugging us. Poor Don was left sitting in the dark wondering what in the world was going on. Later we talked, and Delores told us that she was completely shocked because they did not think we were ever going to have any children, how funny.
On the way home we called our brother's and the rest of our family. When I called Clay and Colt I told them I had new names for them. I said, "I think we should start calling you Uncle Clay/Colt". Clay's response was "why", I said, "because you are going to be an uncle." He said, "no waaa, it's about damn time!". Colt was quicker on the uptake and said, "no way, I am so happy for you guys". All of the responses were so fun and encouraging, and I told Pete that I thought this might we one of the most fun days of our lives. When we got back to Fort Myers, we got a phone call from my dad. He said,"you guys weren't kidding about that were you?" I laughed and reassured him that we were very much not joking. He said, "I am so happy for you guys this is going to be wonderful!"

And now for the poem...
Since we first left home way back when, we never really tried
Then the last few years it occurred to us and sort of wondered why
As time went on we looked around at all our friends and fam
Who all celebrated little ones with party’s full of ham

It never seemed our time you know
We sure do like to travel
But with all that ham around
We’re getting tired of seeing gravel

We joke about the words “you’ll see”
We keep hearing from some of the others
We’ve got a plan to take them camping
Or leave them at grand-mothers

So now you know our current state we’ve thought about a while
We finally just decided lately to organize our pile
Of life, you see, we take for granted each and every day
Time to slow down and take a breath and laugh along the way

So come October we’ll all find out what color to paint the walls
Cause we’re not finding out till then which toys - trucks or dolls
Till then we wait and watch Grace grow I hope she’s got a guide
On how to do all these new things, but we’re sure God will provide.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that!! You'll be so glad that you recorded that story! And HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to my best friend in the world. I love you so much and we are so happy for you! By the way...you are doing such a great job with your blog!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete